On the celebration of Global Climate Action Week-2019; LEDARS along with Satkhira District Nagorik Committee, BARCIK, JalobayoParisod, Shymnagar UpazillaJubo Forum and Kaligonj UpazillaJubo forum organized a human chain, in front of Satkhira Press Club at 26 September 2019. The meeting was presided over Mr. AnusurRahaman, chairman of District Nagorik Committee. At the human chain, Mr. KallyanBannerjee, district correspondent of Daily ProthomAlo, M. Kamruzzaman, Editor, Voice of Satkhira and district correspondent of ATN Bangla and daily Samakal, Md. Abu Ahmed, President of Satkhira Pressclub, Md. Momtaj Ahmed Bappi, Secretary of Satkhira Pressclub delivered their speech. The human chain was executed by Mr. Madhob Dutta, Director of SODESH.
After human chain a Climate March was organized from Satkhira press club to DC office. Youth leader delivered speech in the march. Climate March demanding for the announcement of climate affected area and special allocations for the coastal area Satkhira.
After the Climate March, a memorandum was submitted to the Prime Minister of Bangladesh. Deputy Commissioner of Satkhira received the memorandum. The demands of the memorandum are as follows;
- Declare southwest coastal area as “climate Affected Area” and have to provide special allocation to mitigate,
- Necessary number of cyclone shelters should be constructed in proportion to the population in the southwestern coastal areas.
- Establishment and maintenance of sustainable coastal embankments should be made.
4. Climate and disaster fund should be established in the coastal areas under the supervision of Union Council.
- Steps will have to be taken in establishment and implementation of Union Level Local Adaptation Plan (LAP) under National Adaptation Plan (NAP)
- All the people of the coastal areas should be ensured of drinking water.
- More effective measures must be taken to protect the Sundarbans and biodiversity of coastal area.
- Modern effective steps must be taken to reduce water logging.
- Rainwater Reservoir system have to be established in large scale to reserve enough rain water that can be used for two times cultivation within one year in the same agricultural field in coastal area.
- Have to stop landlessness due to shrimp farm and government Kash land should be distribute among landless people considering priority.
- Transparency and accountability should be ensured in implementation of climate related project in the southwestern coastal areas.
- Climate change must be considered as a key development controller/factor in the 8th Five Year Plan.
- Climate smart development plan have to be adopt for the future generation of Bangladesh.
- Create sustainable opportunities with specific allocation for implementing green initiatives for mitigating climate change impact with the leadership of youth in local and national level.